tumblr site counter

Keeping Kids Safe from Everyday Poisons in Our Homes #keepinkidssafe

This is a sponsored post, however, all opinions are 100% my own and are not influenced in any way.

Having three little ones five years old and under I am always watching what they are doing and where they are going. I have cabinets locks in place and corner covers on furniture. As parents, no matter how many safety devices we have around the house we still need to be cautious when it comes to the everyday poisons in our homes. Many times we don’t even think about something as being “poison” but educating ourselves is the key to keeping our kids safe.

When it comes to everyday poisons we have to look at the things we wouldn’t typically think of, including things like cosmetics, button cell batteries and items in our laundry rooms. I keep my laundry detergents/supplies on a high shelf in my laundry room and the kids aren’t able to reach them, but have you ever really thought about these items to be poisonous? I hadn’t really thought much about it until now. Did you know that the journal Pediatrics has published a study of laundry detergent pods, finding that about one child is poisoned every hour. It is the first comprehensive study of data from the National Poison Data System. From 2012-2013, about 17,230 children under the age of 6 were injured by laundry detergent pods, 700 children were seriously sickened, and at least one child died.

Everyday poisons in our homes My daughters are 3 and 1 and the stat that about three-quarters of incidents involved children under 3 years old truly scares me. About 80% of injuries occurred after the child swallowed the detergent. Injuries like corneal abrasions can also occur after a child squirts the detergent into their eyes. The problem with “pods” is that they contain a highly-concentrated formula with a higher amount of surfactant compared to regular detergent. These ingredients are more likely to cause serious side effects in children.

The everyday poisons in our home can be deadly if we don’t make sure they are out of reach or even out of the house completely. I hope you’ll share this information with your friends and family so we can keep all of our little ones safe!

What other items can be poisonous that one might not always consider?

Take this safety survey (less than 10 questions, it’ll be quick!) for your chance to win a monthly $250 gift card. Winners will be selected on Oct. 14, Nov. 13th, and Dec. 15th. Good luck!

Looking for Aluminum Free Deodorant? Nutrexin is the Answer!
Making Sure We Have Ways to Connect Amidst Our Busy Schedules

Comments

  1. When my youngest was 2yrs old, we left him and his brother to spend the night with my husbands brother & wife while we went out. During the night, he got up and drank half a HUGE bottle of Dawn Dish liquid. When we picked him up, he had diarrhea and sores all down his mouth. They had called poison control, but we also called our pediatrician. There was nothing we could do but give him milk until it ran out of his system. He SCREAMED for three solid days when he wasn’t asleep. He didn’t want milk, he wanted juice, but the acids made the sores in his throat hurt. He didn’t want water either, not to mention he had really nasty diarrhea. Bless his heart, it was the hardest three days ever.
    Kay M. recently posted…PetAction™Plus and Yummy TreatsMy Profile

  2. You’ve remind me a lot about the safety of children. It’s quite an important thing.

Speak Your Mind

*

CommentLuv badge