Disclosure: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Xcel Energy. The opinions and text are all mine.
Wind power is beneficial for numerous reasons. What exactly is wind power you ask? It’s the energy extracted from wind using wind turbines to produce electrical power, windmills for mechanical power, windpumps for water pumping, or sails to propel ships. Why would you want to use it?
The Benefits of Wind Power
Wind power is great for our environment because it’s an alternative to fossil fuels, it is plentiful, renewable, widely distributed, clean, produces no greenhouse gas emissions during operation and uses little land.
Xcel Energy knows that wind energy is more than an environmental choice. Wind can help to keep energy rates affordable by protecting customers against rising fuel and other costs. It’s not only a way to be environmentally green, but it’s a way to save green, too!
What is renewable energy? It’s energy that comes from resources which are naturally replenished on a human timescale such as sunlight, wind, rain, tides, waves and geothermal heat.
The United States currently relies heavily on coal, oil, and natural gas for its energy. If we were all to count more on renewable energy that doesn’t run out, can you imagine the difference we can make in being a leader in the “green” world?
Windsource from Xcel Energy
Windsource is one of the nation’s leading voluntary green power programs. Details about Windsource from Xcel Energy:
Windsource® enables Xcel Energy’s electric customers to purchase renewable energy, generated above and beyond the renewable energy in our standard energy supply. The program offers customers a choice on how they want to use energy. Windsource customers pay a small premium in return for the environmental attributes of the renewable energy, giving them the right to make the claim that they are powered by renewable energy. Business customers can use their Windsource participation toward LEED certification points, as well as displaying an overall green sensibility and respect for the environment. Windsource currently operates in five of Xcel Energy’s eight states: Colorado, Minnesota, New Mexico, Wisconsin and Michigan.
Currently Xcel Energy provides wind power solutions in Colorado, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and New Mexico. Residential electric customers can call Xcel Energy at 1-800-895-4999 or visit ResponsibleByNature.com/Windsource to enroll.
Business electric customers can contact their account manager or call their Business Solutions Center at 1-800-481-4700. For state specific costs, program information and enrollment forms please visit Xcel Energy.
Benefits of Windsource
- Join Windsource to support the increase in renewable energy generation, and to be a part of a growing community of environmentally-sensitive consumers
- Support energy sources that take advantage of abundant natural resources like the wind and sun
- Support affordable and domestic energy production that provides electricity price stability and prepares us for the future
- Increase local economic development for rural communities including jobs, tax revenue and income for landowners
- Benefit from a cleaner environment
- It’s an easy, inexpensive way to support renewable energy.
- Meet environmental compliance targets
- Receive LEED certification points
- Reduce environmental impact
- Enhance public image; demonstrate values to employees
- Own the RECs and can use them toward sustainability goals
- Position the organization as an environmental leader
What You Can Do
You can participate in utility programs like Xcel Energy has! If it is not available in your state and your state does not have something available contact your elected officials and let them know that green energy is important to you!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Xcel Energy. The opinions and text are all mine.