Tuesday has become breastfeeding awareness day, in a way, around here. Each week, Courtney from Joy of Momma Joyner and I post something breastfeeding related: a cartoon, a personal story, facts, breastfeeding in the news, etc. We hope you’ve come to enjoy this feature as much as we have! This week we wanted to take a few minutes and just share some fun facts about breastfeeding for a few different groups of people!
Since the dads always feel left out here are some breastfeeding facts for dads! Ladies, share these with your husbands!
- Breastfeeding has been shown to reduce the risk of breast, ovarian, and endometrial cancer in a mother’s later life and may reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
- Breastfeeding women use the weight (fat stores) they accumulated during pregnancy to produce breast milk.
- Women who breastfeed for more than twelve months during their lifetime tend to have lower risk of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, and diabetes.
- A mother’s perception of her partner’s attitude toward breastfeeding is one of the greatest factors influencing her decision to breastfeed.
- Babies’ brain development depends on frequent verbal, physical, and emotional interaction with a familiar, loving caregiver. Babies need to be sung to, rocked, and played with as much as they need time breastfeeding. The baby needs these things and they will not spoil her.
See dads, breastfeeding is not only healthy for baby, but for your wife, too! It will also save you some money and if you are anything like my husband you’ll love that!
Breastfeeding Facts for New/Expecting Mamas:
- Your breast size has nothing to do with the amount of milk you can produce.
- Nursing mothers are protected by U.S. Laws. Know the laws in your state.
- The inability to produce enough milk for your baby is rare.
- It hurts in the beginning. You WILL get through it.
Check out some more fun and statistical breastfeeding facts I posted last year! Also, be sure to check out my co-host and her tips at Joy of Momma Joyner!
If you’d like to link up with some facts and add the linky to your post you can get the InLinkz code!