As if keeping your own children happy all of the time isn’t enough of a challenge, hosting a play date at your house with your children’s friends can turn into quite the stressful experience. LA is going to be two soon and he’s getting to the age that he really enjoys having other kids around. Play dates are definitely things we try to do often. As you make plans for your child this summer, Earth’s Best has a few suggestions to help ensure the experience is more enjoyable for you and your kids:
- Open a discussion with the other parents beforehand regarding their own children’s behaviors, likes and dislikes, as well as any restrictions they may have like food allergies.
- Make sure you clarify your own guidelines and expectations and discuss them with the other guardians ahead of time so that they can lay down the rules with their children in advance of the play date.
- Set a limit on the number of children that are invited. It will take a lot of the pressure off of you if you are prepared ahead of time regarding how many children will be present. With fewer kids in your home, your child will be able to develop more meaningful relationships and will be less overwhelmed by new faces.
- Have a variety of mess-free, convenient and quick snacks on hand to share with your child and guests. Earth’s Best recommends a few snacks perfect for summer play dates:
- Sesame Street Fruit and Yogurt Smoothies: a nutritious snack made from organic fruit and real organic yogurt, these smoothies are easy to serve and quick to clean-up.
- Organic Letter of the Day Cookies: these cookies can make your play date an educational experience by presenting a great tasting way for kids to learn their ABC’s.
- Always be flexible about changing play date arrangements or making last minute adjustments.
Have you hosted play dates in your home? How did they go? What are some tips you can add to these?