I have had the pleasure of trying a lot of baby items with baby Addy in the past five months and I am going to be reviewing and sharing some with you now! First up we have VTech’s Safe & Sound Video Baby Monitor.
We received a video baby monitor from my husband’s sister for our shower when I was pregnant with LA. We used that thing more than most other items we received. There were things I didn’t like about it but it worked for what we needed. Here it is two years later and we were in a situation where we needed a monitor for baby Addy’s room because we just moved her into her own room about 3 weeks ago.
I was thrilled to receive the Safe & Sound Video and Audio Monitor from VTech for review. When I received the monitor I was so excited to try it out. I immediately plugged both pieces in to check it out! I was also very happy that we had previously used a video monitor (although it was a different brand) so I would have something to compare this experience with. It was incredibly easy to get working, in fact, it took less than five minutes to set up. That’s a huge plus in my opinion!
I don’t even know where to begin with my favorite features of this monitor. There really are so many!
- Temperature Sensor – as a mama, I am always wondering if my children’s rooms get cold or too hot during the night. I love having the temperature on the handheld unit so I can just peek real quick instead of risking waking baby by going into the room and checking the temperature. There is also a temperature alert you can set to notify you if the temperature gets too hot or cold. <3 this!
- Talk-Back Intercom System – if I hear and see that baby Addy is awake but content in her crib I’ll let her stay in there just for a bit. I love having the ability to talk to her without being right there. If I am in LA’s room getting him ready for bed or changing him, I can easily talk to Addy as well.
- Night Viewing – a must have feature for us because night time is when we use the monitor the most! There are 8 infrared LEDs on the camera that automatically sense the lighting condition and allow for full video viewing in dark rooms. We’ve never used night lights or left lights on at night time so this is important to us! It does only show black and white images, however, that’s not been a problem for us. (By the way, it is full color during daylight hours or with lights in the room on.)
- Rechargeable battery on the parent unit – I love that I can carry this unit around the house and easily recharge it when needed. Being that it is a video and audio monitor the rechargeable feature is necessary.
- Adjustable Camera Angle – I love that you can move the camera without having to move the entire monitor. We have it on a shelf in baby Addy’s room so it’s easy to move just the camera when we need to!
- Expandable to 4 cameras – Although we don’t have a second camera for LA’s room I appreciate that this is an option with this monitor. In fact, you can expand this system to a total of four cameras in your house! Isn’t that great? LOVE it!!
- Polyphonic Lullabies – this monitor plays five different lullabies on the camera so baby can easily fall asleep or be comforted by the calming sounds!
Now that you know some of my favorite things, let’s take a closer look at the monitor!
You can see we’ve simply put it on a shelf in baby Addy’s nursery. It’s so easy to move the camera part of this unit for perfect views!
You can see the buttons a but closer here. The four buttons on the bottom right side are for the lullabies. You can play/pause them, fast forward and increase or decrease the volume. The chosen lullaby plays for about 15-20 minutes and plays repeatedly during that time.
The parent unit is incredibly easy to operate. the buttons along the right side of the view are for power, zooming in, view (can be used to view other rooms if you have multiple cameras) and the bottom button is what you use to talk to baby through the intercom. You can also see the top right has options: volume up and down and menu options that allow for setting the temperature alerts, sensitivity, screen brightness and others! It’s the perfect size for carrying around!
A few things that I wish were easier? Well, to be honest, had I read the directions immediately I wouldn’t have had these issues but let me tell you about them in case you don’t read the directions either! First, I used the monitor for over a week and thought there was no way to turn the video off. Yes, I am shamefully hanging my head here because did I really think that VTech would create a product that wouldn’t allow the video to be turned off? Of course not! I do wish there was a video on/off button just to make it 100% clear, but really all you have to do is push and hold the VIEW button until the video turns off. The other thing? I wasn’t happy with not hearing EVERY single noise in baby Addy’s room. I mean, I am the kind off mama that likes to hear the slightest movement, not only the cries. Yes, there is an option to adjust this too in the menu settings. This is something else that was in those directions that I didn’t read right away! After I figured out those two things, there is nothing I would change about this monitor.
My Final Thoughts: The Safe & Sound Video and Audio Monitor worked perfectly and it’s been everything I want in a monitor for my baby. It helps me rest comfortably at night knowing that I can hear if something is going on with her. VTech’s baby monitor has been tried and approved by Mama on a Green Mission!
Purchase: The VTech Safe & Sound Video and Audio Monitor can be purchased on their website for a very reasonable $129.95 with free shipping! This monitor is worth every penny of that price and more! If you need to use the monitor in multiple rooms, additional cameras are available.
FTC Disclosure: I received the above mentioned product(s) free of charge from the company or PR rep to facilitate my review. All opinions are 100% my own and are not influenced in any way.