My addiction is with cloth diapers. There, I’ve admitted it. Along with my addiction comes the need to have certain accessories around that are must-haves in the cloth diapering world. Here is my list of what I’ve found that we need to have in addition to our fluff! Ok, maybe we don’t NEED these items, but they’ve made our cloth diapering experience much easier!
1) Wet BagS – Yes, you see that S there! We needed multiple wet bags and I suggest to anyone who cloth diapers to get several wet bags in various sizes. I have three that are perfect size for the diaper bag. We take one with us whenever we go somewhere in case we need to change a diaper when we are out. The small ones are also great to keep in the car as you never know when you’ll need to change baby out of spit up on clothes or wet clothes when diapers have leaked through.
2) Cloth diaper safe rash ointment – That’s right, you can’t just use any diaper rash ointment with cloth diapers. Certain rash creams will affect the absorbency of diapers so you want to be sure to use creams without zinc oxide in them. We keep this stuff everywhere…in our daycare diaper bags (even though they don’t use cloth at daycare I prefer them to still use our ointment), in our personal diaper bag, at my in-law’s and in the changing table drawer.
3) Extra inserts – especially for nighttime diapering. We prefer hemp or organic cotton inserts for the extra absorbency. We keep many on hand and stuff extra for night time diapers. I also use these in place of microfiber inserts or other inserts that I am not fond of.
4) Wool Dryer Balls – These are great for us because of our love for all-in-one diapers. They help with drying time and we love them!
5) Cloth Wipes – Ok, I have to admit again that we don’t use cloth wipes exclusively. I think if I had a wipes solution that was easy to use and I had a place that was easy to store them I would use them. For us, we change two babies at a time…we normally change them both on our bed or on our living room floor. We have no where to keep a container of water with solution that LA won’t get into unless it’s hidden away in another room that would require more work to go get when changing. Call me lazy, but I just haven’t gotten to this 100% yet. BUT, I added this to the list because we have lots of them and we plan on switching and I know most people who use them love them so I think they are must-haves!
6) Liners – If you baby poos around the same time every day like our LA does these are wonderful! The liners can be laid on top of the diaper before putting it on your little one and they make poo clean ups so easy!
7) Drying Rack – We recently got a dryer rack (thanks to the suggestion of Bri at Eco Baby Mama Drama) and I don’t know how we lived without it! It’s FABULOUS! It makes it so easy to just put diapers on when they aren’t completely dry and better yet? We don’t have a clothes line outside so we couldn’t hang diapers out to dry….but we can put the rack outside and dry diapers! I love it!