Love our Planet this Valentine’s Day!

On a day that the world celebrates love and the small things you can do to make another smile, I want to celebrate our Earth and the small things we can do to make a difference in saving our planet! J
I composed this list of many small things that you might not think of, but they will make a difference….let’s get into these habits together!
1)      Don’t preheat your oven and don’t open the door when checking on your food…simply turn the oven on when you put the food in and check it by looking through the window when possible.
2)      Take a shorter shower…as the mama to a 7 month old who takes short naps, I can testify that this is not difficult to do! J
3)      Turn the water off when you brush your teeth. You can conserve up to 5 gallons of water a day if you stop running water while brushing your teeth!
4)      Ditch bottled water…I gave up bottled water in January and haven’t looked back – it’s simple to do and reusable containers are so easy to find these days!
5)      Shower with your partner  (had to add this one for Valentine’s Day!) Save water AND light a spark in your relationship!
6)      Recycle old cell phones – plenty of programs out there you can donate them to which can benefit great causes!
7)      Ditch the plastic grocery bags! Stronger, reusable and inexpensive bags are available and should be used  in place of the 84 billion plastic bags used in the U.S each year!
8)      Use cotton swabs that have a paperboard spindle instead of a plastic spindle.
9)      Download software instead of buying the disc and wasteful packaging in a store (i.e. tax software is a big one right now!)
10)    Recycle unwanted wire hangers – many dry cleaners will accept them back to reuse them
11)   Buy local – if you buy from local farmers you reduce the amount of greenhouse gas created when products are flown in or trucked in – plus you are supporting your local economy!
12)   Adjust your thermostat – one degree higher in the summer and one degree cooler in the winter will save about 10% on your energy use!
13)   Wash in cold or warm water and only wash when you have a full load
14)   Cloth diaper your little ones
15)   Recycle glass  – if it isn’t recycled, it can take a million years to decompose!
Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!  Spread the love to your family and loved ones and to your Earth so they all have a safe, clean place to live!

Seven months and counting...
Organic?

Comments

1. Hi thank you for checking out my Facebook/blog. And for the great advice on keeping the Earth green.
    Grandma’s Secrets to Savings.

2. We use cloth too… you do know that the 20% off diapers coupons for Amazon work for cloth diapers as well, don’t you? They have a really cute one with trees that I’ve been wanting to get B for a while!

3. http://livingatthewhiteheadszoo.blogspot.com/ says:

Some great tips! I’m a new follower would love a follow back if you get the chance.

4. SocialStudiesSoubrette says:

Nice list. I just got done consolidating all of our DVD’s and computer games into a CD case. I had one CD case and a whole trash bag of plastic cases. Now if I want a movie or game I download it. Easy peezy and no more waste!

5. tips4green says:

Hello,

I am following you back. Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up! LOVE your theme!! I will be back for more!!! Have a great weekend!

Alissia

6. Awesome list! I’m going to print this out tomorrow 🙂 Thanks for sharing it!

I’m a new follower, found you on Surfin Saturdays. Hope you’ll come visit 🙂

xoxo
    Katie

7. I’m your newest hop follower
    Have a wonderful weekend

8. Love it! This is so life changing. I want to go greener each day. Thanks! I’m your newest follower.

9. Crystal Lynn says:

Hi I am a new follower via Surfin Satruday! Please take the time to view my blog and follow me back!
    Thank you so much!!!

10. I love green tips I can use with my hectic life! I look forward to reading more from you! I’m now following and I hope you’ll follow me too! Thanks!

11. Great tips! Thanks for joining our Terrific Thursday Blog Hop! Have a great weekend! 🙂
    Rondi
    wahmresourcesite.com

12. Jodi Whisenhunt says:

Hi, April! These are great suggestions!

Thanks so much for stopping by Magical Mouse Schoolhouse! I am returning the follow 🙂

13. Great tips!

Thanks for stopping by my blog 🙂 Following you back!
    Jen @ My Secret Home

14. Dana @ The Coupon Challenge says:

Thanks for joining Surfin Saturdays! Following you back. I also co-host a Frugal Friday Hop (all bloggers welcome). We would love to have you! Have a great weekend!

15. These are great pieces of advice! Stopping by to send some love from Modified Momma Reviews 🙂

16. Jen @ Miss Organic's Kitchen says:

These are great tips! I look forward to reading more green tips on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by Miss Organic’s Kitchen. I am now following you back.

17. greenTXmom says:

As a fellow Green Mom I love when there are tip lists. 🙂 It really helps those that find it hard to do the big changes.
    I have a giveaway going on right now…ends TONIGHT for Glow Naturals skin care. It is amazing if you are a green geek like me. 🙂 Visiting from a hop, hope to have you stop by Staying Home and Staying Sane http://southernfriedgreenmom.blogspot.com/