On a day that the world celebrates love and the small things you can do to make another smile, I want to celebrate our Earth and the small things we can do to make a difference in saving our planet! J
I composed this list of many small things that you might not think of, but they will make a difference….let’s get into these habits together!
1) Don’t preheat your oven and don’t open the door when checking on your food…simply turn the oven on when you put the food in and check it by looking through the window when possible.
2) Take a shorter shower…as the mama to a 7 month old who takes short naps, I can testify that this is not difficult to do! J
3) Turn the water off when you brush your teeth. You can conserve up to 5 gallons of water a day if you stop running water while brushing your teeth!
4) Ditch bottled water…I gave up bottled water in January and haven’t looked back – it’s simple to do and reusable containers are so easy to find these days!
5) Shower with your partner (had to add this one for Valentine’s Day!) Save water AND light a spark in your relationship!
6) Recycle old cell phones – plenty of programs out there you can donate them to which can benefit great causes!
7) Ditch the plastic grocery bags! Stronger, reusable and inexpensive bags are available and should be used in place of the 84 billion plastic bags used in the U.S each year!
8) Use cotton swabs that have a paperboard spindle instead of a plastic spindle.
9) Download software instead of buying the disc and wasteful packaging in a store (i.e. tax software is a big one right now!)
10) Recycle unwanted wire hangers – many dry cleaners will accept them back to reuse them
11) Buy local – if you buy from local farmers you reduce the amount of greenhouse gas created when products are flown in or trucked in – plus you are supporting your local economy!
12) Adjust your thermostat – one degree higher in the summer and one degree cooler in the winter will save about 10% on your energy use!
13) Wash in cold or warm water and only wash when you have a full load
14) Cloth diaper your little ones
15) Recycle glass – if it isn’t recycled, it can take a million years to decompose!
Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! Spread the love to your family and loved ones and to your Earth so they all have a safe, clean place to live!